The Mike Wieringo Comic Book Industry Awards is an annual celebration of the creativity, skill, and fun of comics. The awards return for their second year on Saturday, September 29, 2018 as part of the fan- and pro-favorite convention, The Baltimore Comic-Con.
Unlike other professional industry awards, the Ringo Awards include fan participation in the nomination process along with an esteemed jury of comics professionals.
More than 20 categories will be celebrated with top honors being given at an awards ceremony.
Thank You to our 2017 Sponsors
The Ringo Awards Committee would like to thank our 2017 inaugural year sponsors:
- Baltimore Comic-Con
- Cards, Comics & Collectibles
- The Amazing Comic Shop
- BOOM! Studios
- Geppi Family Enterprises
- Painted Visions
- AfterShock Comics
- SC Comicon
- Valiant Entertainment
Gift Bag Sponsors:
- Abrams ComicArts (Star Wars Galaxy, Raven Girl, The Age of Selfishness, Trashed)
- AfterShock Comics (Animosity Vol. 1, Alters Vol. 1)
- Archie Comic Publications (Jughead, Road to Riverdale)
- BOOM! Studios (Mouse Guard Coloring Book)
- Dark Horse Comics (Dark Horse Presents)
- DC Entertainment (New Teen Titans: Games)
- Dynamite Entertainment (The Bionic Man Volume Three: End of Everything, Dejah Thoris and The White Apes of Mars, The Last Phantom Volume One: Ghost Walk, Battlestar Galactica 1880)
- Flesk Publications (Brom Sketchbook, Major Thrill’s Adventure Book)
- IDW Publishing (March Trilogy Slipcase Set)
- Scholastic (Graveyard Shakes)
- Source Point Press (Holliston, Salvagers)
- ‘Toon Tumblers (Superman Mug)
- Valiant Entertainment (Faith Vol. 1)
If you would like to sponsor the Ringo Awards in 2018, please email us at email@example.com for more information.
Fan and Pro Nominations
Fan and pro-jury voting are tallied independently, and the combined nomination ballot is compiled by the Ringo Awards Committee. The top two fan choices become nominees, and the jury’s selections fill the remaining three slots for five total nominees per category. Ties may result in more than five nominees in a single category. Nominees will be listed on the ballot alphabetically. Nomination ballot voting will be open to the public (fans and pros) starting March 15, 2018 and will close May 30, 2018.
New in 2018, we have added two categories based on juror feedback from our inaugural year:
Open to Fans and Pros, we are now including “Best Kids Comic or Graphic Novel”. This category recognizes publications that are tailored to the evolving generation of comic readers, and one that Mike Wieringo would have been behind 100%.
In Fan-Only Favorites, we have added “Favorite Publisher” to the list, allowing readers to nominate the publisher they thought created the best works in the previous year. Will it be one of the big comics houses? An online company? Perhaps a book publisher? Did an indie publisher knock it out of the park? Your vote counts!
Fan and Pro Nomination Categories
- Best Cartoonist (Writer/Artist)
- Best Writer
- Best Artist or Penciller
- Best Inker
- Best Letterer
- Best Colorist
- Best Cover Artist
- Best Series
- Best Single Issue or Story
- Best Original Graphic Novel
- Best Anthology
- Best Humor Comic
- Best Comic Strip or Panel
- Best Webcomic
- Best Non-fiction Comic Work
- Best Kids Comic or Graphic Novel
- Best Presentation in Design
Jury-Only Nomination (with three bonus jurors)
- The Mike Wieringo Spirit Award
Fan-Only Favorite Categories
- Favorite Hero
- Favorite Villain
- Favorite New Series
- Favorite New Talent
- Favorite Publisher
Hero Initiative Award (selected by the Hero Initiative)
- The Hero Initiative Lifetime Achievement Award
- The Dick Giordano Humanitarian Award
New to the Ringo Awards nomination process in 2018, we are enabling publishers to submit works for consideration to the Ringo Jurors. Publishers can submit up to five submissions per “Fan and Pro Nomination” and “Jury-Only Nomination” category that they feel are worthy of consideration. To participate in this process, publishers are asked to have a single representative send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
About Mike Wieringo
Michael Lance “Mike” Wieringo was known to fans and friends as “Ringo”, which is how he signed his artwork. His comics artist graced the pages of DC Comics’ The Flash, Adventures of Superman, Batman, and Robin, Marvel Comics’ Fantastic Four, Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, Sensational Spider-Man, and Rogue, and his co-creation Tellos. He passed away on August 12, 2007 at the young age of 44 from an apparent heart attack.
About the Ringo Awards
The Mike Wieringo Comic Book Industry Awards is an annual celebration of the creativity, skill and fun of comics. The Ringo Awards recognize outstanding achievements in over 20 categories, and are the only industry awards nominated by fans and pros alike, with final voting by the comic professional community. Launched in 2017, the awards ceremony is held annually at the Baltimore Comic-Con. Further details are available at www.ringoawards.com.