The Baltimore Comic-Con is happy to announce the winners of our 9th Annual Costume Contest.…
Comic creative professionals, publishers, retailers, and fans came together Saturday night, September 23, 2017 to socialize, dine, and experience the comic book industry celebrating recognition of their peers, co-workers, and competitors at the 2017 Mike Wieringo Comic Book Industry Awards. The inaugural Ringo Awards was sponsored by Presenting Sponsors Cards, Comics & Collectibles and the Baltimore Comic-Con; Gold Sponsors The Amazing Comic Shop, BOOM! Studios, Geppi Family Enterprises, Painted Vision Comics; Silver Sponsors AfterShock Comics, South Carolina Comic-Con, ComicMix, and Valiant Entertainment; and Gift Bag Sponsors Abrams ComicArts, AfterShock Comics, Archie Comic Publications, BOOM! Studios, Dark Horse Comics, DC Comics, Dynamite Entertainment, Flesk Publications, IDW Publishing, Scholastic, Source Point Press, ‘Toon Tumblers, and Valiant Entertainment. The banquet and awards ceremony honoring nominees and winners in professional and fan categories was hosted by the Baltimore Comic-Con and Cards, Comics & Collectibles.
The Mike Wieringo Comic Book Industry Awards is an annual celebration of the creativity, skill and fun of comics. The nomination ballot is determined by fans and pros alike.
The Ringo Awards was honored to present David Petersen, best known as the multiple award-winning writer and artist of Mouse Guard., as the inaugural keynote presenter at the event.
A very special thanks go to the sponsors who donated items to the 2017 Ringo Awards Gift Bags, including Abrams ComicArts, AfterShock Comics, Archie Comic Publications, BOOM! Studios, Dark Horse Comics, DC Comics, Dynamite Entertainment, Flesk Publications, IDW Publishing, Scholastic, Source Point Press, ‘Toon Tumblers, and Valiant Entertainment.
Winners of the 2017 Mike Wieringo Comic Book Industry Awards are:
- Favorite Hero: Cash Wayne (Spectrum)
- Favorite Villain: Arlo (unOrdinary)
- Favorite New Series: Spectrum
- Favorite New Talent: InstantMiso
Jury and Fan Winners:
- Best Cover Artist: Frank Cho
- Best Series: Vision, Marvel Comics
- Best Letterer: Todd Klein
- Best Colorist: Laura Martin
- Best Humor Comic: I Hate Fairyland, Image Comics
- Best Original Graphic Novel: March: Book III, Top Shelf Productions
- Best Comic Strip or Panel: Bloom County, Berkeley Breathed, Universal Uclick
- Best Single Issue or Story: Emancipation Day, www.redistrictedcomics.com
- Mike Wieringo Spirit Award: Future Quest #1, DC Comics
- Best Anthology: Love is Love, DC Comics/IDW Publishing
- Best Non-fiction Comic Work: March: Book Three, Top Shelf Productions
- Best Presentation in Design: Mike Mignola’s Screw-On Head and Other Curious Objects: Artist’s Edition Hardcover, IDW Publishing
- Best Webcomic: The Red Hook, Dean Haspiel
- Best Inker: Sean Murphy
- Best Writer: Tom King
- Best Artist or Penciller: Fiona Staples
- Best Cartoonist (Writer/Artist): Skottie Young
Hero Initiative Awards:
- Dick Giordano Humanitarian of the Year Award: Joshua Dysart
- Hero Initiative Lifetime Achievement Award: Marv Wolfman
In addition, the Baltimore Comic-Con would like to thank those individuals who presented at this year’s award ceremony, including: Keynote speaker David Petersen, Tom Brevoort, Darryl “DMC” McDaniels and Amy Chu, Walter and Louise Simonson, Terry and Robyn Moore, Kazu Kibuishi and Charlie Kochman, Lora Innes and Thom Zahler, and Todd Dezago, Craig Rousseau, and Mark Waid. We would also like to thank John Gallagher for his contributions to our program guide for the evening and awards ceremony presentation.
Please join us next year for the second annual Mike Wieringo Comic Book Industry Awards taking place at the 19th annual Baltimore Comic-Con on September 29, 2018, and keep an eye on our website and social media accounts below for 2018 ballot information.